The former silent movie theater was conceptualized by architect Julius Krost and opened in 1929. It is strongly tied to the expansion of the cinema industry in the 1920s and 1930s. In the beginning, the Delphi almost exclusively showed silent films, such as the legendary “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari”, which was shot in the immediate vicinity. Even though most cinemas fell victim to the world economy crisis of 1929, the Delphi survived. In 1959, however, its operation was closed down, and the cinema fell into a deep sleep. The foyer of the building was used to sell and store vegetables or stamps, to display the musical instruments of organ builders, and, in the following years, to serve as a warehouse for the GDR’s civil defense. In 2006, Andreas Jahn purchased the building, implemented urgently necessary security measures and saved it from its probable decay. In 2013, the artist couple Brina Stinehelfer and Nikolaus Schneider acquired the cinema on a 20-year lease and transformed it into a new art and culture location. The interior has been largely preserved in its original form and transmits the charm of the previous century.